3 Easy Ways to Get Shimmying Today!
1) Take a "From Start to Shimmy" Intro Workshop. Created for complete beginners, this structured and easy to follow class is perfect for students to get to know the basics of belly dance. 60 minutes. $10 in advance, $15 day of. Students MUST pre-register before 12pm that day. NO DROP INS.
Upcoming "From Start to Shimmy" workshops:
Saturday, September 30 @ 1:30-2:30
Saturday, October 21 @ 1:30-2:30
Saturday, November 18 @ 1:30-2:30
Pre-registration required (no drop-ins).
2) Register for a 4-Week Crash Course. The perfect way to start to belly dance without the pressure of committing to a full class session. Part 1 is perfect for complete beginners, while Part 2 picks up where Part 1 left off, guiding you through new and more advanced movement. $80.
3) Join a Sharqi 1: The Saffron Experience class. Created for individuals who are coming to belly dance for the very first time or for students who have completed Saffron Dance's 4 week "Crash Course" intro to belly dance (Part 1 and/or Part 2). This structured and easy to follow class is perfect for students to get to know and review the basics of belly dance. Plus, you'll get a glimpse of the Saffron Experience by learning a choreography that you are invited to perform at a mid-session casual party with the rest of the studio (Performance Development Circle on Nov 10). Costuming elements included in the price of registration.
Particular focus is given to developing correct posture alignment, flexibility, arm positions and paths, fundamental shimmies, basic hip accents, introductory undulations, easy to follow traveling steps and combinations.
See the Class Schedule for current Sharqi 1 classes.
Check out past Crash Course graduates as they perform on stage for the first time. You too can be shimmying on stage after only 4 weeks of class!
* * *
Helpful information for new students:
At Saffron Dance, We Love Beginners. Whether you are coming to belly dance for the first time or are transitioning from another dance form, below are some helpful hints to get you started on your bellydance journey.
No experience necessary. Our beginner workshops and classes are appropriate for all students. The Saffron Curriculum does not assume any previous dance experience and is designed to make the movement accessible for students of all ages, sizes, and levels.
What is belly dance? Belly dance, or "raqs sharqi" in Arabic, is a thriving dance form that has its roots in the cultures of the Middle East. Traditionally a folk dance, the movements used in belly dance were performed at times of celebration - parties, weddings, and festivals - by both professional performers and normal people. Over the past century, belly dance has spread internationally and can now be found in communities across the globe. Today, it has taken root in nearly every major city in the United States, and brings joy to women of all ages, body types, and dance backgrounds.
So, what are the benefits of Belly Dance? Here are some benefits that our new students have shared after their first several classes:
- Improved self-esteem, confidence, and body image
- Self-expression and creativity
- Fun, low-impact workout
- An amazing community of women
- Exposure to different cultures
- Increased core strength
- Improved posture
- Mental and physical escape from the other demands of your life
- A safe and respecting environment irrespective of age, body type or background
- A learning environment committed to supporting you and your dance journey
- Sparkle, glitter, & rhinestones galore (optional but highly encouraged!)
First belly dance class ever? Many students come to Saffron Dance for their first belly dance class, and, in many classes, their first dance class ever. Our program is uniquely designed to make you feel safe, welcome, and prepared. Here are a few items that may help your first class feel a little more comfortable:
- The studio provides filtered water, although we suggest bringing your own water bottle if you drink often.
- Wear a pair of relaxed yoga or exercise pants and a top that allows you to move freely but is structured and fitted enough to allow teachers to correct your posture and alignment. Not ready to bare you belly? No problem. As long as we can see the lines of your body, you’re good to go!
- Most dancers work with bare feet, as our wood floors are smooth and designed for our dance form. However, if you have a sensitivity or injury, feel free to wear designated ballet shoe or dance sneaker. Heels and other outside street shoes are not permitted. In order to prevent slipping we recommend against wearing socks. If you are worried about cold feet or ankles, bring a pair of leg warmers, or we have in the studio available for purchase in the studio. Beware they are sparkly!
- Feel free to wear a piece of fabric tied around your waist, a hip scarf or coin belt to class. Not sure what your preference is. We have multiple varieties available for purchase in the boutique, and a limited amount available for borrowing.
Coming to Saffron for the first time? Whether you are new to belly dance, or have some prior experience, here are some helpful tips for navigating our classes:
- We require that you sign-in at the registration desk before entering class.
- Try to arrive at least 15 minutes early to allow yourself time to change, sign-in and complete paperwork. Please allow plenty of time for traffic and parking.
- We permit coin belts in class, but please be mindful to pick up any beads or coins that you might shimmy off!
- If you are dropping in on a technique class, please arrive a few minutes early so you can introduce yourself to the instructor and tell her a bit about your dance background.
Please see Your First Class for even more info regarding parking, directions, what to wear, etc, and Class Policies for answers to additional questions concerning class cancelations, make-up classes, and more.